Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Story

This was me. At my highest weight, I was 21 pounds over the upper number of my weight category. I clocked in at 171 pounds. I tried to tell myself I wasn't that big. I tried to say that I was active. I tried to say I was happy. Some of those things are partially true. I still fit in any seat. I ran on a semi-regular basis. I'm a generally happy person. But I needed to change. The first time I can remember really trying to lose weight was before my junior year of high school. Partly I really wanted to train hard over the summer to be ready for cross country, and partly I thought I needed to lose weight. I think I weighed 130-140. Oh to go back and shoot a little reality into my head! I did train hard, and I did lose weight, getting down to 119 pounds. I felt awesome. But once cross country was done, I slowly started letting the weight build. It got to the point where I overhead someone say I was fat. I believe I weighed 145 pounds. At least I wasn't the only one who was ridiculous. College came and I no longer had parents planning meals that included all of the basic food groups. My new food groups were "quick" and "tasty". I continued to run, and even finished a marathon in 2006. I know I developed some good muscle, and many thought I had lost a lot of weight, but I know I was around 160 pounds. Life intervened and so did excuses, and I didn't do any serious training after the marathon. I was still running, but I was no longer 'lean'. I believe I may have got my weight down to 150ish in time for my wedding in 2009, but I didn't let the indulgence stop after I got home from the all-inclusive honeymoon. By the end of 2009 I had reached my highest weight and my lowest point. For some reason playing in the 160s was okay, but seeing 171 on the scale made me realize it was time to do this for good. I knew in the past, that my only semi-successful attempts at losing any weight came from counting calories. This approach may not be right for everyone, but I knew it worked for me. I did some searching and found My Fitness Pal. After struggling a bit through the end of December 2009, I made a serious commitment to using the site on January 13th, 2010. My starting weight then was 168 pounds. Not only did I make a vow to watch my food intake, but I let myself love running again, training for several 5ks and a half marathon in 2010. By the end of 2010, I had met my goal and weighed 131 pounds. I was me again.


This is me today. I now fluctuate between 125-128 pounds. I am 16 days away from running a marathon--my first since 2006. I can do 37 push ups. I can hold 'crow' in yoga. All of which I am very proud of, but the thing I'm happiest about? I'm happy. Truly.

So besides being happy, what else has changed? There are superficial things--I like looking in the mirror, I like the compliments, I like shopping for clothes. But the superficial things won't be what motivates me to maintain this weight. My motivation is discovering how much I love to cook. How much I love healthy food. How much I love learning about which foods are good for you and why. My motivation is my new confidence. The confidence to run a marathon. The confidence to decide to be a personal trainer. The confidence to continue to pursue Ness. And my motivation is wanting to encourage and help others in their own journey. Those are the reasons I will stay fit and healthy.

I wish I could say why this effort 'stuck'. But honestly, I don't know. I had the knowledge on how to eat healthy, I already liked the exercise, but what clicked to make them combine successfully? I don't know. It might have been seeing 171 on the scale. It might have been where I was in my life--happily married and in a non stressful job. Whatever bit of luck came my way to enable me to put in the hard work, I'm grateful for it.

For those who may want to start their own journey to Ness, or those who have already started but are still working, and for those who have achieved success--it is inside all of us to take control of our lives and be happy. Find your motivation, find your tools, and pursue Ness with reckless abandon.

In Pursuit,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. What a great story you have! I love hearing about your transformation... I am working towards mine but it is a slow and winding road.

    Make it a great day!

    ReplyDelete