Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Granola Bars!

In a continued effort to improve on the 'well' of ness, I decided to tackle homemade granola bars. It's ridiculous at how easy this was. And I had all of the ingredients already in house! So really, these were free granola bars--and they are better than any store bought ones I've had. Enjoy!

Ingredients:                                                 
* 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats                
* 1 cup whole wheat flour                          
* 2 t vanilla                                                   
* 1 t baking soda                                                  
* 2 1/2 T flaxseed                                        
* 1/4 c honey                                                
* 1/2 c applesauce                                        
* 1/3 c brown sugar                                     
* 3/4 c coconut
Optional:
* 1/2 cup raisins, nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit
* 2 scoops protein powder
Directions:
 * Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F
* Lightly grease 9x13 pan
* In large bowl, mix all ingredients except coconut and optional ingredients
* Add in remaining ingredients and mix well
* Lightly press mix into pan and bake for 20min
* Let cool for 15 min, cut into 24 bars
* Cool completely before eating or storing


Tips:
For this attempt, I added raisins and 2 scoops of the chocolate protein powder I had in the house. Once I had everything mixed together, it seemed a little dry so I added 2 T of olive oil. I made a second batch, but I think I was a little short on the applesauce, and I didn't add anything else to compensate so the second batch was a bit more crumbly than the first. I think the next time I make these, I will use 3/4 cup applesauce and no olive oil. Besides cutting down on the fat slightly, I think the extra moisture will help with the 'mixing' of the ingredients. There was a bite or two where one ingredient really stood out instead of a uniform flavor.

**For my friends on MFP, these are in the database under 'Sarah P's Homemade Granola Bars**
*Credit for base of recipe-EHow*

In Pursuit,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that! I just bought ingredients to make granola bars this weekend but I think I'm going to use your recipe instead

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might just have to steal this recipe today! A blog post with your name on it looks to be in my future ;)

    ReplyDelete