Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Road to Boston--Week 2 done!

Second week of training done, 14 weeks left. This past week included another hill workout, a marathon pace run, and a long run of 9 miles.

This was the first time I made a marathon pace (MP) effort on purpose. I ran the Green Bay Marathon in 3:37:45 which equated to 8:18 mile pace. I want to train for a 3:30 marathon in Boston which is 8:00 mile pace. That is a huge jump in pace when the hills of Boston are looming. But even if I decide to adjust my goal, I can still train for an 8:00 goal. Or, at least I thought I could.

I started my MP run with a nice slow mile, then geared up for a 24 min 3 mile loop. I finished it in 25:07 which is about 8:22/miles. Quite a disconnect in times there. And pretty disappointing to not even hit my previous marathon pace. A few things I'm going to try next time.
1) Try and keep a steady pace. I went out too fast and had a hard time keeping up the pace.
2) Push myself. I think I gave up a little at the tough pace. Hard workouts are hard. That is why I have easy days. If I want to enjoy the easy days, I need to earn them by working hard the rest of the time.
3) Relax. The time goals are goals and they are mine. I won't lose a shoe contract or TV deal if I don't run a 3:30. While I enjoy improving myself, running is fun for me and it will be fun even if I don't hit my goals, so RELAX!

My long run went well. It was a gorgeous 30 degress (ah...perception :)) and calm. I finished in an hour, sixteen minutes. That tells me that I can improve on MP days and I also probably was running too fast for a long run. But it felt good and took me 9 miles closer to the marathon.

Run. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. And on we go!

In Pursuit,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment