Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

FINE! It's Winter. Otherwise known as training weeks 3 & 4

Sigh. I hate winter. I find myself longing for the simplicity of just walking out the door in the morning. Instead I'm gathering hats, boots, gloves, scarves, making sure I have appropriate work shoes to replace the boots. And to run I'm grabbing my gaiter, hat, headband, glove, tights, pants, shirt, jacket. And after all of those clothes I STILL have to jump straight in the shower after I run so my cold sweat doesn't put me into hypothermia. I love running, I just hate winter.

But here I find myself, January 22nd, having finished my 4th week of training. There have been two snow storms and too many days of single digit temps. And it turns out East Side residents still haven't learned to shovel.

My training plan includes specific workouts. Like doing downhill repeats at 5k pace. Or 5 miles at marathon pace. Both of those things become a lot harder when patches of ice and 4 inches of 'used' snow are present at every other step. A year ago I found myself battling these same conditions while preparing for the Green Bay Marathon. When Spring finally poked it's head back out, I found myself stronger and faster than I was before spending months running in what basically felt like a giant sandbox. I want to do well at Boston. I'd like to try and improve my time to 3:35 or 3:30. But honestly, Boston will be awesome even if I take 5 hours to finish. It's BOSTON!!

So I'll be here, dreaming of warmer weather, keeping up my anti-treadmill stance, and running through it all. Cause that is my Ness.

In other news, I now have 10 followers. YAY! Thanks all :)

In Pursuit,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Sara message sara Drews on FB she talked to her Friday she would love to give you pointers for Boston...she did it last year.... and she is currently in training agin not sure for what though....thought a little encouragement from another could alway help
    Roxann

    ReplyDelete