Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

hush...

Winter is my least favorite season. But every once in awhile there is a moment. A moment you only find in Winter.

I got to bed quite late last night. Due to some unexpected issues with my run Tuesday, I was short a few miles and decided to make them up this morning. This was not a pleasant prospect as I went to bed knowing the alarm was 3 1/2 hours from going off. And then? I woke up on my own 20 minutes early. I figured it'd be even worse if I let myself get back to a deep sleep only to have the radio blare, so I got up and put on my running clothes.

Outside...clean, undisturbed, quiet snow.

Crunch. Crunch. Footsteps marking the memory of a solo runner on a Friday morning.

Crunch. Crunch. Pure, clean, quiet, Winter. It was lovely. No ipod, no distractions, just the sound of shoes on snow, breathing, and the lulling sound of the waves in the lake. The lake that is still moving and turning and going on, even though it is winter. Knowing soon it will be spring which will bring rain, and noise, and people.

But for now, there is a runner, and snow, and quiet.

I hate Winter. But I loved this run.

No comments:

Post a Comment