Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

The WHOLE Pursuit May 23rd

Today's whole food--sweet potatoes!

For some reason, people insist on taking these delightful tubers and adding sugar, fat, and marshmallows. I never really knew why I didn't like yams as a child, but it might be because I never got a chance to see how they actually tasted!

Tonight I made some healthy burgers (I'll share the recipe on Wednesday) and I wanted a healthy side to go with them. Sweet potatoes have become a staple in my house, so I thought I'd make up some "chips" as an alternative to french fries. I own a mandolin, so I was able to cut the potatoes quite thin. While this tool is nice, it isn't necessary. You can use a sharp knife to cut thin slices-the thinner the slice, the crispier the final product.

1 medium sweet potato covered two baking pans with a single layer of thin slices

*Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
*Lightly drizzle olive oil over slices
(1 tablespoon of olive oil per pan is sufficient)
*Season to taste--salt and pepper work great
*Bake approximately 5 to 10 min



Your baking time will vary depending on how thick your slices are and how crisp you want them. The most important thing is to keep a VERY close eye on them. I forgot this crucial step and ended up burning quite a few. But I did get a decent serving, and the chips were wonderfully crisp and even better, delicious!

*A complex carbohydrate
*High in Fiber
*High in vitamins A, C, and B6

No comments:

Post a Comment